The customer service function provides assistance to utility customers in:
- Establishing and terminating service
- Answering billing and service inquiries
- Managing delinquent utility accounts receivable
- Providing customer education
New Rental Accounts
New services for rental units require a minimum deposit of $300 to ensure the account has a $0 balance at termination. If an account is closed with a balance, the security deposit will first be applied to that and the difference will be mailed to the account holder. Security deposits are refundable after three years of good payment history or upon moving from the property. The refund process may take up to four weeks. In addition to the security deposit, a $30 non-refundable application fee will appear on the first bill.
Commercial accounts also require a security deposit which is based on the type of business and size. Security deposits are calculated by twice the average or projected consumption in accordance with City Code, Section 11-16. The City factors the square footage, along with measuring the same or similar type of business. The minimum deposit is $300.
- How do I open and close an electric utility account as a tenant or renter?
- Will Customer Connect automatically transfer or move my account over to a new City of Newark address?
- How do I open and close a water utility account as a tenant or renter?
- I am a new homeowner; how do I establish service in my name?
- What information is required to establish service for a residential rental property?
- What fees or deposits are required for residential electric service for new tenants?
- What payment methods are accepted?
- How do I pay my utility bill?
- What is Budget Billing?
- How can I sign up for Preauthorized Payments (Direct Debit) or Budget Billing (Equal Payment plan)?
- What is the Customer Charge listed on my bill?
- How do I make payment arrangements?
- I need help paying my bills, what can I do?
- Can I pay my ticket online?
- Do you offer rebates or incentives for energy conservation?
- I disagree with the amount of my bill, what should I do?
- What is the “Energy Next” line on the bill?
- How do I change the name on the bill?
- How can I register my address for medical emergencies?
- What is Customer Connect?