What is Identity Theft?
Identity theft occurs when your personal information is stolen and used without your knowledge to commit fraud or other crimes.
Deter Identity Theft
- Do not give out personal information over the phone
- Do not use an obvious password like your birth date
- Keep your personal information in a secure place
- Never click on links sent in unsolicited emails
- Protect your Social Security number
- Shred all financial documents and paperwork with personal information before you discard them
Detect Identity Theft
Detect suspicious activity be routinely monitoring your financial accounts and billing statements. You should also inspect your credit report regularly.
Defend against ID theft as soon as you suspect it by:
- Close accounts that have been tampered with
- File a police report
- Placing a Fraud Alert on your credit reports
- Report the theft to the Federal Trace Commission
The Delaware Attorney General's Office
provides additional information
on obtaining an identify theft passport.