Household Trash, Recycling and Yard Waste
Current Changes to City of Newark OperationsAs a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, several modifications to staffing and non-essential services have been temporarily implemented. These modifications have been made to reduce the risk of City employees contracting the virus and ensure that essential services can continue uninterrupted. We will continue to monitor the situation and modify services as necessary to meet the needs of our community. We appreciate your understanding in this difficult time.
Bulk Item and Recycling Collection Helpful Alternatives
If you are able to transport your unwanted items, please be aware of two disposal options:
For bulky trash, fast disposal is available at the Cherry Island Landfill, located a quick 20 minutes from downtown Newark.
Cherry Island Landfill
For recyclable bulk items, fast and easy disposal is now available at the new Recycling Center here in Newark, located right down 896 South in the Pencader Industrial Park. In addition to recycling, there are regularly scheduled special collection events.
Delaware Solid Waste Authority’s Newark Recycling Center
Except for weeks that include a holiday, the City collects household trash on Mondays and Tuesdays and collects recycling on Thursdays and Fridays. To find out which day your household trash and recycling is collected, visit Recycle Coach!
Green Wednesday – Yard Waste Pickup
Residents are required to use either a 35, 65 or 95 gallon cart, provided by the city, for all trash, recycling and yard waste collection. One of each type of cart is provided for, and assigned to each property, at no charge.
Carts not provided by the city cannot be lifted by the automated trucks and will not be emptied.
- Carts must be placed at the curb (with metal bar facing the street) by 7am on the day of collection, and pulled back against the house or out of street view, by 6pm the same day.
- Carts left at the curb, in the front yard and/or driveway are subject to a $100 fine.
- Carts placed within three feet of a car may not be emptied, as the driver cannot risk the truck’s arm or the cart damaging private property.
- Items placed outside the cart will not be collected. Drivers are not allowed to exit the truck. If you have items too large in size or amount to fit in a cart, special bulk collections are scheduled Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Please click here for complete information on the city’s scheduled bulk pick-up service.
- To learn all about recycling, click here to watch video about Recycling Simplified, or here to learn about recycling rules in the State of Delaware. Both links open in a new window.
For further information, please call the Department of Public Works and Water Resources at (302) 366-7000.