Parents Code of Conduct
The City of Newark Parks and Recreation Department is committed to the principles of good sportsmanship.
In order for your child to get the most out of a game it is important that you follow these guidelines to help promote good sportsmanship:
- Display good sportsmanship at all times. Don’t make derogatory comments to coaches, officials, or players of either team. Encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, and officials at every game, practice, or other youth sports event.
- Be supportive of your child by giving positive encouragement. Show interest, enthusiasms and support for your child. Point out what they do well. Positive reinforcement goes a long way.
- Let your child play the game for themselves. Don’t try to coach your child during the contest. The stands are not a place to shout personal instructions.
- Respect the coaches’ decision and abilities. Don’t advise the coach on how to coach. Don’t force your kids to decide whether to listen to you or the coach.
- Support the coaches and officials working with your child in order to encourage a positive and enjoyable experience for all. Remain in the spectator area during games.
- Get involved with the team. Cheer for your child’s team. Applaud good plays; don’t dwell on bad plays.
- Be in control of your emotions. Stress fair and sensible play and the important of the team.
- Help your child enjoy the youth sports experience by doing whatever you can, such as being a respectable fan, assisting with coaching or providing transportation.
- Thank coaches, officials and other volunteers who conducted the event.
- Sit back, enjoy the game and watch your child have fun!