Greeting From Mayor
A Greeting From Mayor Polly Sierer
Thank you for visiting our website! Newark is a wonderful City, and as Mayor, I strive to advocate for Newark to ensure it remains a place to live, work and thrive. As a proud Newark resident for more than 25 years, it is important to me to encourage new ideas, like the Healthy Newark Initiative. As a community leader, I work to build strong relationships within the City through continued collaborations among the University of Delaware, local businesses, and all of the residents of Newark.
I hope you will visit Newark soon to see all it has to offer for neighbors and visitors alike!
Our City's Motto
“Committed to Service Excellence” is Newark's motto and based on surveys of our residents, we meet and exceed their expectations. Several of our employees have even been chosen for the prestigious Jefferson Award because of their outstanding services. Experience our city, where warmth and hospitality flourish. We are strong on history and rich in tradition. You will never want to leave!
What Makes Newark Special
- University of Delaware: Newark is home to University of Delaware, providing us with a strong economic base and over 18,000 new faces every year.
- Downtown Newark Partnership: Award-winning Main Street is funded through the joint efforts of the City and the University and continues to grow and make us proud every year.
- Community Environment: Our community works and plays together!
- Community Day
- Taste of Newark
- Memorial Day and Halloween Parades
- Wine and Dine Downtown
- Food and Brew Fest
- Mayor's Harvest Festival
- New Healthy Newark Initiatives: Tennis with the Mayor, Mayor's Bike Ride
- Newark's Parks and Recreation Department celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018 with events for the whole family throughout the year. Click here for additional details.