Travel Safety Tips
Stay Safe While TravelingMany criminals prey on and make their living off of unsuspecting travelers and tourists. By reviewing the below travel safety tips you can help to ensure a safe and relaxing trip or vacation.
Before You Leave
- Have your mail and newspapers stopped or have a trusted friend pick them up every day.
- Leave a radio on to give the appearance that you are home.
- Make sure that all your windows and doors are closed and secured.
- Notify a trusted friend and/or building manager of your travel dates and itinerary. Provide them with an emergency contact number.
- Put timers on your household lights to turn them on and off at appropriate times.
- Carry your wallet in an inside front pocket or breast pocket rather than a back pocket.
- Keep an inventory of the contents of your luggage in case they are lost or stolen.
- Pack as lightly as possible. Heavy luggage will slow you down and make you more vulnerable to pickpockets and thieves.
- Place valuables in your carry on bag.
- Remove old destination tags to avoid confusion.
- Avoid traveling at night in unfamiliar areas.
- Become familiar with your travel route before you start.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good operating condition before you leave.
- Park in well-lighted areas and remove valuables from sight.
- Keep all hotel doors and windows locked.
- Report all crimes and suspicious activity to hotel management
- Use caution when a person knocks on your hotel door. The front desk can verify if an employee is at your door.
- Use the hotel safe deposit box to store valuables.
On the Town
- Carry only the cash or credit cards you need for the day.
- Stick to well-lighted, well-traveled streets.
- Travel with a friend or group.
- Watch for distractions by pickpockets.
- Be wary of overly friendly strangers in public areas.
- Do research before you decide on a vacation package.
- Keep your long distance telephone card number secure. Do not allow others to observe your card number or overhear your conversation.
- Use a reputable travel agency.