- All dogs and cats must be inoculated against rabies.
- Newark's animal control program promotes the humane treatment of animals
- The city's animal control ordinances require animals to be on a leash when they are. off the owner's property.
- The ordinance also prohibits cruelty to animals and restricts public nuisance animals.
- The program also protects the public from hazards associated with domestic or wild animals.
- For a full listing of the City of Newark’s animal related ordinances, click here.
- The Newark Police Department only handles animal-related incidents in the city limits of Newark. This does NOT include 19702 zip codes.
Animal Control Officer
- The City of Newark has a fully trained Animal Control Officer (ACO) on staff.
- The ACO has a fully outfitted dedicated ACO response vehicle.
- Our ACO generally works during the day Monday through Friday. Police officers are available to respond to emergent animal complaints, such as recovered or barking dogs, 24-hours a day.
- The ACO responds to a variety of animal related complaints, including: bites, fighting, abuse, neglect, sick, lost, found, aggressive animal behavior, wildlife encounters, trapping, and noise complaints.
Wildlife Nuisance Trapping
- Our ACO is State certified to trap wildlife, and is available to trap animals on a case-by-case basis.
- Animals we don’t trap: bat and rodent infestations, bee hives and protected species.
- There are a host of other considerations the ACO has to take into account when deciding on whether or not to trap, including temperature, unattended traps, location, etc. Please call any time and the ACO will provide an informed decision.
- Contact the Newark Police Department at (302) 366-7111.
- Check the Newark Police Department Facebook page.
- Check the state lost and found registry at http://animalservices.delaware.gov/lost
How to report an animal related complaint?
- The Newark Police Department only handles animal-related incidents only in the city limits of Newark. This does NOT include 19702 zip codes.
- Call the Newark Police Department at (302) 366-7111 (non-emergency) or 911 (emergency).
- To report an animal-related complaint outside of the City of Newark, call Delaware Animal Services at (302) 255-4646.
Have a question or concern?
- A voicemail or email can be left for Animal Control Officer, Donna Vickers, at (302) 366-7100 ext 3429 or via email.