About the Program
The Federal Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended, created a new Community Development funding program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The City of Newark, as part of an "Urban County" receives Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds annually through New Castle County by an entitlement formula based on population. Under the entitlement program, the City of Newark must submit a yearly application to HUD through New Castle County for Community Development Program activities.
The primary objective of the Community Development Block Grant program is "the development of viable urban communities by providing decent housing in a suitable living environment and expanding economic opportunities, principally for persons of low and moderate income" (Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended).
Project & Activity Qualifications
In order to qualify for community development funding, all projects and activities must:
- Principally benefit low and moderate income persons (80% of Area Median Income)
- Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums and blight
- Meet other Community Development needs having particular urgency (flood, disaster, etc)
Community development rules and regulations specify eligible and ineligible activities. Eligible activities include:
- Acquisition of property
- Clearance, demolition, and removal
- Public facilities and improvements
- Rehabilitation and preservation activities
- Economic development
- Economic opportunities for low and very low income persons
- Removal of architectural barriers
- Public services (Limited funds available)
- Planning and administration (Limited funds available)
Please contact Michael Fortner in the Planning and Development Department at (302) 366-7000 to discuss your project's eligibility.
Grant Year Timelines
The grant year for the Community Development Program runs from July 1 - June 30. Community Development projects approved for funding in November may begin the following July 1st.