Public Works Department

Utility Permits

A Utility Permit may be required for any excavation or land clearing work. Applications are issued in the Public Works Department, and there is no fee for these permits. Utility Permits expire in six months and work must be started within 30 days of the issuance of the permit.

Drainage (Municipal Code: Chapter 27)

The city maintains a comprehensive set of regulations and controls covering surface and groundwater drainage. For each development, a surface, and groundwater agreement is executed before Building Permits can be issued.

The Department of Public Works grants approval to drainage facilities plans based on standards outlined in the City Subdivision Regulations and the city's Standard Specifications for Road and Utility Construction.

Streets & Sidewalks (Municipal Code: Chapters 26 & 27)

The Public Works Director grants approval for new streets and sidewalks as part of the Construction Improvements process of a Major Subdivision or the Building Permit review process for individual structures. Designs must satisfy minimum requirements for construction and be approved by the director as to grades, widths, and material.

All excavations on any portion of a street, alley, or sidewalk require written consent from the Director of Public Works in the form of a Utility Permit. There is no fee for this permit.

Curb Cuts (Municipal Code: Chapter 26)

All requests for Curb Cuts should be directed to the Public Works Director. The City Traffic Committee may review petitions for driveway openings or similar access to the streets and roadways of the city. Curb Cuts are reviewed in terms of public safety and convenience.

Permits are issued by the Public Works Director with the approval of the City Manager.

The State of Delaware Division of Highways, however, is responsible for granting approval for Curb Cuts on state maintained roads and highways.

Additional Information

For more information, please contact the Public Works Department at 302-366-7000.