- Planning and Development
- Public Transportation
- Newark Train Station
Newark Train Station
Travel by Train to/from NewarkPeople traveling to and from Newark by train can do so via the Newark Regional Transportation Center located on South College Avenue at Mopar Drive. In addition to Amtrak service, Newark is served by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) commuter rail to Philadelphia.
The Newark Passenger Railroad Station, located on the north side of the tracks under the South College Avenue railroad bridge, is no longer an active train station and is currently the home of the Newark History Museum.
Newark Train Station - A Brief HistoryThe Newark Passenger Railroad Station was built by the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore (PW&B) Railroad in 1877, when Newark was a town of 3,000 inhabitants. The PW&B was the major rail link between New York City and Washington.
The Newark station was soon considered one of several prestigious commuter stations in Delaware and suburban Philadelphia. The use of fine brickwork, elaborate wood trim, granite sills, and black slate roof with decorative iron scrollwork along the ridge line presented an image of prosperity and confidence. The original building featured porches, double doors, a hipped gable roof, gable roofed dormers, Victorian detailing, Gothic arched window openings, and arches over the doors.
Described proudly in an 1878 issue of The Railroad Gazette, the station provided separate waiting rooms for ladies and gentlemen, telegraph service by Western Union, and a small freight station/stockyard complex on the opposite side of the tracks. The greenhouses and gardens which surrounded the station supplied cut flowers for dining cars on PW&B passenger trains, and later on the Pennsylvania Railroad, up through the 1950s.
Changes Made Through TimeChanges were made as time passed. The iron scrollwork, double doors, porch sections, decorative brackets, and slate roof were either replaced or removed. When the main function of the station shifted from passenger ticketing to computerized freight, partitions were taken down and room arrangements radically changed.
Eventually, in the 1970’s, the station’s owners – Amtrak – closed the building. For a time, it seemed like this relic from our transportation past would remain sealed forever.