Extra Duty Officers
Off duty Newark Police Officers may be hired by private entities to perform law enforcement functions. These functions may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing security
- Patrolling a specific location
- Directing traffic
Certain jobs do not qualify for off duty employment of a Newark Police Officer. These jobs include, but are not limited to, working for bail bond agencies, investigative work for insurance companies, private investigators, collection agencies or jobs outside the City of Newark.
All requests to hire extra duty Newark Police Officers will be reviewed to determine whether it meets criteria for approval. The Newark Police Department will attempt to fill all jobs. There is no guarantee that all requests will be filled.
The following are some requirements that may be applicable to the job:
- No job can begin until an application, user agreement and indemnification agreement are completed, signed and returned to the Newark Police Department.
- For officer and public safety, a minimum number of officers may be required for an event. The Newark Police Department reserves the right to determine the number of officers required for the duty requested in the application.
- Officers must be hired for a minimum three (3) hours for extra duty assignments.
- The Newark Police Department may, at its discretion, cancel any off-duty jobs due to Departmental conflicts.
Jobs should be scheduled at least thirty (30) days prior to the start of the event. This form will also need to be completed at least five (5) days prior to the start of the event.
If you are interested in hiring a Newark Police Officer for an event, please contact the Special Enforcement Division Commander at (302) 366-7100 x. 3116 or by email.