Green Building Code Work Group
In June 2018, the Planning Commission began discussion of the rating system used to evaluate the energy conservation and efficiency standards that apply to development of all major subdivisions in the City of Newark, in an effort to make recommendations for Code amendments to update the standards. Current standards are based on the most recently issued United States Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system, as defined in City of Newark Building Code, Chapter 7, Section 7-8.(7), and referenced in Zoning Code Chapter 32 Article XXVII Site Plan Approval.
Subsequent to the initial meeting on June 5, 2018, the Planning Commission discussed the City’s energy conservation and efficiency standards at two regularly scheduled Planning Commission meetings on July 3, 2018 and August 7, 2018.
Formation of Work Group
Based on discussion at the July 3, 2018 Planning Commission meeting regarding the complexity of energy conservation and efficiency standards, at its August 7, 2018 meeting, the Planning Commission recommended in favor of the formation of a work group to review and discuss the City’s LEED certification standards to identify and recommend revisions to the LEED ordinance.
Work Group Members
Participants of the work group include two Planning Commissioners, two Conservation Advisory Commission members, two representatives from the Downtown Newark Partnership Design Review Committee, representatives from City of Newark Planning and Development and Code Enforcement staff, and other citizens with an interest or expertise in Green Building and/or LEED.
Work Group Meetings
The Green Building Code Work Group, which reports to the Planning Commission, will meet monthly for no longer than six months, after which it will make its recommendations to the Planning Commission. All meetings will be posted and open to the public. Meeting minutes will be taken and posted on the City website.
- ASHRAE 189.1-2014 Standard for the Design of High-Performance Green Buildings
- ICC/ASHRAE 700-2015 National Green Building Standard
- 2018 IgCC
- LEED v4 for Building Design and Construction
- LEED v4 for Building Design and Construction Checklist
- LEED v4 for Homes Design and Construction
- LEED v4 for Homes Design and Construction Checklist
- Model Stretch Code Provisions - New Buildings Institute
- Implementing Outcome-Based Compliance Path in Energy Codes - New Buildings Institute
- Swarthmore 2014 Green Points Worksheet.