Senior Home Repair Program

About the program

The Newark Senior Center works with the Community Services Corporation to assist eligible homeowners, who are age 60+, living in the City of Newark, by providing FREE home repairs. The Senior Minor Home Repair program addresses minor home repair needs that focus on health, safety, and security conditions if the home.

What does the Senior Minor Home Repair Program do?

Repairs that generally qualify under the Senior Minor Home Repair Program include:

  • Installing, repairing, or replacing doors, windows, screens, gutters, shingles or other roofing.
  • Outlets & light switches. •Hand & stair railings & grab bars.
  • Minor plumbing repairs: faucets, toilets, hand held shower heads, & raised toilet seats.
  • Building ramps & widening doorways.
  • Weather stripping, caulking, air seals & insulation.

Who is eligible?

  • Homeowners age 60 years or older, own and reside in the home as their primary residence, are under the applicable income limits for household size, and have homeowners insurance.
    • Family Size50% of Median80% of Median
  • Home must be located in the City of Newark municipal boundary. Homes located outside the Newark municipal boundary may qualify for assistance with New Castle County’s Department of Community Services (provide link)
  • Property value cannot exceed $278,050. 
  • The property must have hazard insurance that meets the program requirements.
  • Applicants must be current on all mortgages and taxes and not have delinquent federal, county, or city debt.

Processing of Application

Owner must submit completed application to the Newark Senior Center.  For an application, call the Newark Senior Center at (302) 737-2336 ex 112.

The applicant must provide a picture ID or proof of address.

The applicant must present proof of all earned and unearned income. Income verification can include the following:

  • Last three (3) consecutive paystubs or letter from employer detailing annual salary.
  • Copy of Social Security/Disability Benefits (letter from Social Security)
  • Copy of current State Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), General Assistance (GA) or any other State assistance in the form of the benefit later or letter from agency case manager detailing monthly award amount.
  • Copy of Unemployment Checks
  • Copy of Child Support Payments or Order
  • Notarized Statement of any family income not listed above.
  • Notarized Statement of Zero income.