Salary & Fringe Benefits
Starting salary for a Newark police officer is $45,801 annually while in the police academy.
The salary rises to $56,706 after completion of the police academy.
Annual step raises are given. Plus, after 10 years of service, Newark police officers receive a longevity service award equivalent to 2% of the monthly base salary, times years of service.
Fringe Benefits Information
Newark police officers enjoy an outstanding fringe benefits package that could pay for gym memberships and routine preventative care. In addition, employees are permitted to choose from various plans for dependents at a very low cost. The following benefits are available:
- Health – 100% paid for employee. For dependents, employee pays 17.5% of the cost.
- Dental (including orthodontics) - 100% paid for employee. For dependents, employee pays 17.5% of the cost.
- Vision - 100% paid for employee. For dependents, employee pays 17.5% of the cost.
- Life Insurance Options
- Annual clothing and/or cleaning allowance
- After achieving 3 years of service, an annual payment of $1,000 for possession of a Bachelor's Degree and $1,250 for possession of an advanced degree
Full Pension Benefits
New in 2021: The Newark Police Department now participates in the State of Delaware County and Municipal Police/Firefighter Pension plan.
This pension plan provides full pension benefits after 20 years of service at 50% of the average of the highest 36 months of salary. Employees earn an additional 3.5% service credit each year after 20 years of service. Retirement is mandatory at age 55 or 34 years of service, whichever comes first. Employees are also entitled to disability and death benefits. Full details about the plan can be found here.
The City also provides a Retirement Health Savings Plan to which both the City and the Employee contribute. These funds can be used upon retirement to pay for health benefits.
Time-Off & Leave
12 paid holidays annually - An officer required to work on a holiday receives additional pay and time off
2 weeks of paid vacation after 1 year of service
3 weeks of paid vacation after 5 years of service
4 weeks of paid vacations after 10 years of service
5 weeks of paid vacation after 15 years of service
5½ weeks of paid vacation after 20 years of service
Employees accumulate 10 hours per month of sick time. In addition, an annual sick time bonus of 24 hours is provided to officers who utilize minimal sick time. After reaching 720 hours of accumulated sick time, the City buys back the excess sick time on a yearly basis. The City also provides leave for emergencies, bereavement, military and service on jury duty.
In addition to providing a highly competitive wage and fringe benefit package, the City of Newark also provides the following:
- Full salary during attendance at the police academy and provides all necessary academy equipment
- Paid attendance at additional police training beyond the academy
- Payment for tuition and books towards a Bachelor's Degree
- All required uniforms and equipment are provided.