City Manager Search
A dynamic, experienced municipal professional is being sought to serve as the next city manager for the City of Newark. Following the departure of former city manager Carol Houck last May, Public Works and Water Resources director Tom Coleman has served as acting city manager pending the appointment of her successor. After requesting input from residents and working closely with City Council and staff, GovHR USA, a firm hired by Council to conduct the employment search, recently posted a job description and City profile to begin soliciting applications.
The position requirements are summarized as follows:
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required; a Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy or related field is preferred; a Credentialed Manager designation through ICMA is also preferred.
- Five (5) years progressively responsible municipal experience in a community of similar size and complexity, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would demonstrate the skills and abilities to perform the work.
- Candidates must have strong leadership skills, open and honest communication skills, an approachable style, and the proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships.
- Strong financial and budget management experience, ability to manage multiple enterprise funds, including electric distribution, economic development success and labor relations experience.
- Experience as a Manager in a university community is preferred as is direct experience working with state and federal legislators.
- The ability to express ideas effectively in written and oral form is also required.
Submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by April 30, 2018 online to GovHR USA, LLC – http://govhrusa.applytojob.com/apply/bNYLHLzgve/Newark-DE-City-Manager.
Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joellen C. Earl, CEO, GovHR USA at 847-380-3238.
The City of Newark City Manager Recruitment schedule can be found here: Recruitment Schedule.
As part of the recruitment efforts, Newark City Council requested public feedback regarding the position of City Manager. Comments were included in the final recruitment profile.
If you have feedback or input you wish to share directly with GovHR regarding the City Manager search, please email email@example.com.